Permits to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Alabama are issued by the Sheriff's Office to persons 18 years of age and older.
In order to obtain a permit, or renew an expired permit, you must come to the Sheriff's Office with your driver's license or other picture identification. The Sheriff's Office is required to run a criminal history and must receive an application on all persons requesting a pistol permit.
You must get your permit in the county of your residence. If your driver's license does not reflect a Dale County address, then proof of residence is required (such as a bill in your name), unless you are military.
There are some people who are prohibited by certain State and Federal Laws from obtaining a pistol permit:
- No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence.
- No person who is a drug addict.
- No person who is a habitual drunkard.
- No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft.
- No person discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent.
- No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship.
- No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor.
- No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States.
- No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms.
- No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives.
The fee for obtaining a pistol permit is $20.00 for persons between the ages of 18 and under 65, and $10.00 for ages 65 and older. The permit can be bought up to 1-5 years from date of issue. The fee is payable in cash or check. Pistol permits may be obtained Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Click here to download pistol permit application.
In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing licenses issued by other states, provided that those states would recognize Alabama's pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama. As of August 1, 2013, Alabama recognizes all 50 states pistol permits,