Dale County
Sheriff's Office
Ozark, Alabama
Mobile Version Like us on Facebook!
History of the Sheriff's Office

Dale County was created by an act of the Alabama Legislature on December 22, 1824, from parts of Henry, Covington, Barbour and Pike Counties, and was named for Samuel Dale, a highly decorated Indian fighter, scout and courier of vital military dispatches. The original county seat was located at Dale's Court House (now the town of Daleville), but when Coffee County split from Dale in 1841, the seat was moved to Newton. Here it remained until 1870 when, following a courthouse fire in 1869 and the formation of Geneva County (which took the southern third of Dale County), the county seat was moved to the town of Ozark, where it remains. In 1903 a small portion of the southeast part of Dale county was joined to the newly-formed Houston County.

The Dale County Sheriff’s Office was created in 1827. James Boles was the first elected Sheriff serving from 1827 until 1828. To this date, 34 individuals have been elected to this office.

The Sheriff's Office was housed in the basement of the Dale County Courthouse until 2013 when it was moved across the street into the Creel Richardson Building. The Creel Richardson Building houses the Ozark-Dale County E911 Center, Dale County Emergency Management Agency, WTVY News 4 Dale County Bureau along with the Sheriff's Office.